All great things wrapped up into this lovely dish! This recipe is sure to please any grill out lovers or office lunch packers. It will be a great side dish to your grilled steak or salmon. You can prepare most of this ahead of time (earlier in the day or night before) and then assemble the day you are ready to serve and eat the salad. If you prefer eating it with warm veggies then you can cook right before you dig in! (This recipe was inspired by Martha Stewart)
BIBB LETTUCE SALAD WITH EGG & POTATO
- 1 pound baby red potatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved on the bias
- 1 pound green asparagus, rough stems trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 heads Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, large ones torn into 2-inch pieces (about 12 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, fried
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), for serving
**Please note that Michigan asparagus this year has been extremely sandy. Soaking can sometimes help the process, but it has been pretty intense this year…so if you have the time…blanch it. It will extract a lot that sand so you don’t have the grit in your dish. http://www.thekitchn.com/smart-tip-gritty-asparagus-dont-just-wash-it-blanch-it-170778 **
Cover potatoes with 2 inches of water in a pot and bring to a boil; add salt. Cook until potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add snap peas and asparagus to pot, and boil until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes; drain. Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
Melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Divide lettuce and vegetables among 4 plates. Drizzle with warm dressing, and top each with an egg. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with chives.