It’s mid July, and the impossible is happening. You’re running out of preparation ideas for all these great local greens. Just think back to January and February, when you never thought this problem could occur! Not to worry, we have a great recipe for you this week.
Kale Basil Pesto
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves only
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 summer squash, sliced
- 1 bag green beans, steamed
- 1 small sweet onion, quartered
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil to sprinkle on veggies
- Cut kale leaves roughly into 1 inch pieces. Bring a large pot of water
to boil. Add kale leaves and cook 30 seconds until just wilted. Rinse under
cold water and squeeze out all the liquid. Place kale, basil and garlic in a
food processor bowl. Process until finely chopped. Gradually add olive oil
through feeder tube and continue processing until pesto is smooth.
- Pre-heat grill. Place squash and onion in a bowl, add steamed green
beans, salt & pepper and toss pesto onto the veggies. Mix with spoon until
mixed in. Pour veggies onto aluminum foil and place on grill on medium heat for
about 10 minutes or until squash and onions are tender.
Serve as is, on flat bread as a pesto veggie pizza, or on top of your favorite pasta dish. Reserve some of the pesto as a base. Enjoy!