Mexican dishes are by far my all time favorite dishes. I could eat any form of Mexican for breakfast, lunch or dinner several times a week. I think I might be mildly addicted to spice and all the powerful flavors and textures that come along with this devilish cuisine. It is also a food that can allow you to eat very healthy without sacrificing flavor!
With that being said, I would like to introduce the Turkey Taco Salad…not just ANY taco salad, but one that provides so much diversity and local flare you will want to eat one everyday! The turkey you can order right from our Doorganics website! With this recipe comes a delicious & creamy salad dressing to take this turkey salad to the next level.
So you say you’re not a huge salad fan…make these into tacos or tostada. There are many variations this recipe can bring, you just have to open your mind and get crafty.
Turkey Taco Salad
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 10-15 minutes prep, 20 minutes cook
- 1 pound ground turkey (Duerksen Turkey Farm)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups Bibb lettuce, washed & chopped
- 2 cups spinach, washed & chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mexican shredded cheese
- 1/4 tortilla chips or strips, for garnish
Heat up a large skillet with olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Incorporate ground turkey in sauté pan for about 15 minutes. Add any of your favorite seasonings to your meat. For example, taco seasoning, adobo salt (Mexican must have), cumin, salt & pepper.
While turkey is cooking, make the salad. I like to wash my greens ahead of time so they are crunchy & dry. Now just mix the last 6 ingredients in a bowl then plate. Top with turkey and tortilla strips if you so desire. Drizzle dressing (see recipe below), toss and EAT!
Zesty Mexican Dressing
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 jalapeño, roasted, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon, lime or orange (whichever one you have)
- salt & pepper to taste
How to roast or char a pepper: please see video http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/02/how-to-roast-pepper-101.html
Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until you dress the salad.